It is that time of year again. As the New Year approaches, everyone begins formulating their New Year resolutions. More often than not, these resolutions focus on the desire to improve one’s health in some manner. For most, it is a resolution to eat less and move more in an effort to lose weight. While the intent is good, the approach is lacking.
I offer a different approach for 2019, but first a brief vocabulary review. The word “resolution” is defined as: a firm decision to do or not do something; the action of solving a problem. The term itself is restrictive and implies you are in some way a “problem” that needs fixing. In order to promote self-care and, in turn, health and well-being, I suggest we make New Year Revelations. To further our vocabulary review, the word “revelation” is defined as: the making known something that was previously unknown; term used to emphasize a remarkable quality of someone or something. Wow! What a great word! Now, a revelation promotes the discovery of all our remarkable qualities including what works best for us individually, rather than what society and the diet industry claims is best for us.
It is common knowledge that fad diets do not work and the gym is not for everyone. There truly is no one-size-fits-all path to health. We are all as different as the snowflakes that may be falling as the ball drops on New Year’s Eve. Changing the focus from a restrictive or punishing mindset to positive curiosity makes the coming year an exciting adventure in self-discovery. If you must resolve to do something in 2019, resolve to do things differently.
Here are some examples of New Year Revelations:
In 2019, I will…
- Try a new food each month noticing the taste, texture, smell, and how it makes me feel (energy, satisfaction, etc.)
- Find movement I enjoy (walking, biking, swimming, yoga, playing tennis, dancing, etc.)
- Edit my social media feeds to include those who share my values and remove those who do not support me in my journey
- Establish a regular gratitude practice
- Learn more about intuitive eating
- Start meditating
- Expand my social circle
- Volunteer for an organization that shares my values
- Seek the assistance of a registered dietitian or health coach to partner with me on my journey to well-being (couldn’t leave that one out….shameless self-promotion acknowledged)
In addition to our website, blog and podcast (coming in 2019), here are some links to give you a jumpstart on your New Year Revelations: